Monday, October 25, 2010

A Serious Analysis of Goodnight Moon

Happy Monday.

Goodnight Moon. A favorite book of many children. A hated book by many parents. Why? Well, it's considered terribly boring and/or just plain weird. For those of you that need a reminder, it's about this bunny going to bed and saying goodnight to everything in sight. Yes, I can see how someone may think it is boring.

GoodnightMoon

But is it really?

Every night when I get Jackson to snuggle up with me before bed, I crave this book. Not only because it teaches him about process and obtaining a goal (thanks for the smart sounding insight epionion), but because I seem to always uncover new and fascinating questions. Off the top of my head...

goodnightmoon2

-Does this take place in a living room or a bedroom?
-Where did the bunny get the red balloon?
-Why does a bunny need socks and mittens? Where are the pants?
-Why are these bunnies anyway?
-Who is that old lady bunny?
-Who eats mush before bed?
-Why are there two clocks?
-Wouldn't little bunnies be scared of bears? Why hang them on your wall for Pete's sake?!?

And the list goes on and on.

One question I can answer: what is my favorite part?

"Goodnight mush."

2 comments: