Thursday, November 18, 2010

Buy This, Not That: Breast Milk Bags

As some of you may know, I was an exclusive pumper for almost 6 months. At 8 weeks postpartum, I hit my peak. I was making 55 oz/day when my little one was only drinking 30 oz/day! Talk about a sweet surplus.

I was a pumping maniac. I was driving myself (and probably everyone around me) crazy. That's what happens when you life revolves around breast milk day in and day out. Yes, day out. I sure don't miss those 2am and 5am pumping sessions by the way.

I learned so much during those mama milk machine days. Now that I'm burning through all of my frozen milk supply that I built up last summer, I have a new learning I felt compelled to share.

Buy This: Lansinoh Breast Milk Bags

lansinoh

They are more affordable than some other leading brands and they have a big label to write your little one's name on it for daycare. Also, no holes were discovered when defrosted, and most importantly, measurement was right on.

Freeze them flat and they are so easily to defrost for a yummy milk treat (per Jackson).

Do Not Buy That: Nuk Seal N Go Breast Milk Bags
nuk

I thought I would try these bags because they were cheaper. I wish I would have gone with the Lansinoh bags for all my frozen treasures.

When reheating, I've discovered holes in my bags and have lost several bags of milk. Let me tell you, it is devastating to pour that milk down the drain, especially when your little guy is screaming to eat.

The measurement is off or was hard to figure out when pouring milk in the bag. I froze over 250 bags of milk and about 70% of my Nuk bags had 5.5 oz in them when I thought I was saving 6 oz. Very frustrating. Thank goodness I froze 1 oz milk cubes just in case.

Now Nuk makes some other outstanding products, like their binkies are great. I just would think twice about buying their bags. They have some more work to do on improving them.

Lansinoh image via Target
Nuk image via Bed Bath & Beyond

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to welcome you to the bloggy world. Come check me and the girls out at http://www.momstreehouse.com/. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Lansinoh bags too! Now if I can just get Sweet T to take a bottle so I can have some freedom. She'd take one at 6 weeks old then we went a couple weeks without giving her one. Big mistake.
    Good for you giving your baby mommy milk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose your blog for an award! Check out http://angela-mommytimeout.blogspot.com/2010/11/yay-i-won-another-blogger-award.html to claim your award

    ReplyDelete