Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Getting Balance Back: Yoga Practice

Another goal:  Get my balance back.

I know right, what do I even mean?  Well I would like to restore balance in the literal sense and balance in the mind, body, spirit sense.  Two ways, two actual goals I suppose.

Something that has always helped me establish balance in both senses is yoga.  Before and after I got pregnant, I routining practiced yoga each week.  It not only helped me maintain my physical balance throughout my pregnancy (which is no small task), but it also helped me keep life in perspective.  For instance, whenever the balance between work and personal life felt way out of wack (and it does so often, let's face it), yoga helped me re-balance it all.  

Some words of advice if you are interested in yoga or want to get back into it...

First, find a studio where the people there truly care about you and offer you a safe haven.  I go to a studio in downtown Kansas City called Boulevard Yoga.  I have gotten to know the owners over the last couple of years and I love how personal and warm they are every time I visit (even if I don't see them for long stretches at a time).  I'm so lucky to have found such an amazing studio for my practice. 

Second, try to do your own practice for 5-10 minutes a day.  I know, us moms don't have any time, but just 5 minutes a day can be a really beneficial practice.  I am going to spend 5-10 minutes every morning after my baby's first bottle.    He loves to crawl around on the floor now, so I'm going to let him while I do a few sun salutations.

A great resource for coming up with your own home practice is yoga journal. You can browse different poses, select them, and print them off.  How fun.  I'm starting mine right now...

Photobucket

Namaste.


image via yoga journal

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reply to my blog frog post. I am your newest follower!
    http://www.retail-therapy-lounge.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I am one of your followers. I just followed you on twitter. I love this post. I love how I feel when I do yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was delighted you stopped by and left a sweet comment. I love making new blogging friends.
    Yoga is so relaxing at the end of a stressful day. One thing it has taught me, is how to breathe better. I don't always practice it, but when I need to unwind and just breathe I certainly know that yoga is what I need.

    ReplyDelete