Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Didn't Like This Soup

As some of you may know, I love making soup on the weekends.  I try to not only incorporate tons of healthy veggies, but also barley from time to time.  I was tired of the usual tomato, carrot, and barley soup, so I thought I would try something new...mushroom barley soup.  Sounds good, right?

I think it started out okay looking...I took carrots, onion, red bell pepper and portabella mushrooms and sauteed them in olive oil.

Photobucket


Then I added 6 cups of beef stock, 1/2 of cup of barley, and some thyme.

Photobucket

I think that's when it turned sour for me.  I tend to prefer a chicken or vegetable stock based soup.  I also would not recommend using the portabella mushrooms.  The whole soup was too "meaty" tasting for me, but I have to say my husband liked it a lot.

Not my favorite, but it may inspire me to try a barley soup in the future with mushroom and another kind of stock.

Eat up!

1 comment: